Skip to content

Big XII Championship

December 11, 2009

Last weekend I went to the new Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX to see Nebraska play Texas in the Big XII Championship game.

I started with bad news: Whiskey Tango was staying in the hangar due to bad weather. That meant I was taking El Rey to Dallas on Friday. Troy told me to take US75 to Topeka and I could shave off 1/2 hour. I did, and I did. It took me 9:15 to get from my house to Andy’s house.

My plan was to make one stop for gas, beef jerky, and other business. About 2 1/2 hours into the trip, I knew that wasn’t going to happen. I pulled into one of those left-exit stops on the Kansas Turnpike. The only problem was a coach full of fellow Husker fans pulled in just before me. I had to wait in line for the restroom and the cash register. Despite that bit of bad luck, I didn’t make another stop. I bought some sunflower seeds, which probably helped.

Once at Andy’s, I was drinking Tanqueray and Fresca in no time. Then we were off to meet Ron Simms at the bar for a few beers. We ended up at Anamia’s for Mexican food and Dos Equis. Andy’s niece and some of her friends came down from Lincoln later that night and I got schooled in Spades by Tricia

On game day, Andy and I went to the Tom Thumb for syrup and oil. We grabbed some 100% maple syrup, but didn’t realize it costs $23.00 until it was rung up. Twenty-three dollars for syrup? I don’t think so. Then we had “Hey, Pancakes!” for breakfast. An awesome buttermilk pancake recipe.

You’ve probably heard that Cowboys Stadium has a couple of big TVs. Well, it does. But you can’t appreciate it until you see it. Those things are enormous.

The game was one of the best I’ve ever seen. I wish we’d have won, but it was a good game and a good time nonetheless. I heard there were a few scuffles between Husker fans and Longhorn fans, but I didn’t see any. And almost every Longhorn fan I saw was gracious in victory.

Then came the drive home. About the Nebraska border, it started snowing. I’m driving a rocket with racing slicks on it, and that’s not a good combination. Oh sure, Nancy told me to get the snow tires put on, to which I replied “I’ve go plenty of time.” I was going between 30 and 40 mph and it took me almost 12 hours to get home. The extra driving time was bad enough, but I was white-knuckling it the whole way. I was physically and mentally spent by the time I got home. By about Nebraska City, I was weighing my options. In short, I had none. I wasn’t going to stop and find a hotel for three days. Nobody was going to drive down and pick me up. I had to press on, so I did. It sucked.

The next day we got the snow tires put on and it made a remarkable difference. That car now gets around better than my Maxima, which weighs twice as much. Despite it’s excellent traction, we’re still trading it in for something with more cargo space. Someday.

One Comment leave one →
  1. Debbie permalink
    December 11, 2009 4:16 pm

    A rocket with racing slicks, that’s why I garaged mine during the winter. You make me laugh!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: