Skip to content

Mealybugs

October 8, 2009

Sometime during the early spring I started to notice that one of my house plants had what looked like cotton on it.  I washed the plant and within a few days the cotton was back.

IMG_7825I searched the web to find out what it could be. I discovered that it was a mealybug  infestation.   Some sites suggested buying a pesticide for it, others had home remedies, such as spraying the plant with rubbing alcohol.

If you know me, then you know that I went with the home remedy.  I sprayed my plant  with five parts alcohol, one part water and a dash of dish soap, as directed. The first couple of days or so it appeared as if the solution worked.  The mealybugs would go away for what seemed like several weeks then I would notice a new spot of infestation.  I even tried to re-pot the plant with all new soil.

Luckily for me the plant was still alive.  But unfortunately the bugs came back, and to make matters worse I started to notice them on another plant.

IMG_7823

It only took me 5 months to give up on the home remedies and get my ass to a nursery and get some of the good stuff.  Good old pesticides!  Ferti Lome Whitefly and Mealybug killer to spray the plant and Bonide Houseplant Insect Control to place in the soil.   I treated my plants over a month ago and am happy to report the mealybugs are gone.

Advertisements
One Comment leave one →
  1. FRAN MALONE permalink
    October 14, 2009 11:36 am

    You should have tried VINEGAR!!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: